Mandu Making Party!

Saturday, October 22, 2011 - Posted by Jullie at 1:17 AM


Mandu (만두) is the Korean word for dumplings, and Koreans sure do know how to make fantastic dumplings. Whenever I think about making them, I always reminisce about my childhood days when women of the family would gather around the table, catching up, talking about their lives, and gossiping. My aunts, mom, and grandma would make hundreds of dumplings! Well, now it's my turn. So I invited some girls in my small group to come over to have a girls night.

First, I premade the filling. The filling has tofu, kimchi, green onions, jjap chae (sweet potato noodles), cooked ground pork, sesame seed oil, salt, pepper to taste.

Before you mix the ingredients together, you have to get rid as much water as possible. So with the tofu and jjap chae noodles, I put them inside a cheese cloth and squeezed the heck out of it. Then, I continued on with mixing the filling to taste.
Then, we all sat around the table, and take the dumpling wrappers and fill them, I personally like the Korean brand called sweet potato wrapper, but you can also use wonton wrappers. We had to make sure not to fill it too much because we have to leave room around the half the outer part of the circle to close the dumpling.

On that outer edge we used our fingers to dip it in a bowl of wisked egg and used it as paste.
If you notice that the dumplings are getting stuck on the table, we floured the surface.


(photo creds to angelica)
You can close the dumplings in pretty shapes, including making cute circle shaped buns, or moon shaped buns. Then we split the batch in half, and steamed them and pan fried the other half.
Before they were cooked

And here's the final product!!


We made so much, when our husbands came back from boys night, we fed them and some guests the next day!
Such a fun and delicious way to get together with some gal pals. I truly enjoy spending fun time crafting, cooking, and talking with all of my girlfriends... I'm truly blessed to have you all in my life =)

-Jullie